Sunday, March 30, 2008

Look what I did!



Roxie over at Jorabeel's Ink was talking one day about altering a clipboard and I just had to do one myself.....so here is what I came up with.....it's hanging in my newly "pinked" office at the college and I just love it!

HOW I DID IT:

First I found a couple of old clipboards at the thrift store....this one was brown fiberboard, but the other one is clear acrylic so I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet. Anyway, I painted the clipboard with a thick coat of shabby pink latex paint and let it dry really well.

Next, on the front side of the clipboard I painted on a thick coat of matte Modge-Podge and let it get almost dry. Then I painted on a coat of chocolate brown latex paint. This was an experiment because I didn't know how the Modge-Podge would work for crackling. The main thing to remember when "crackling" is to be sure to paint in one direction. After the brown paint dried there was a moderate crackling effect, mostly in a linear pattern.


I used a coarse grade sandpaper and sanded around the edges of the clipboard and then sanded the crackled area to get the effect I wanted. I wiped the board down with a damp cloth and then dried it with a cloth and I was ready to apply my artwork. I chose a floral and butterfly theme with a biblical garden verse for my clipboard. Once the artwork was affixed with more Modge-Podge, I then coated the entire front of the board with another coat of Modge-Podge to seal it. I applied another coat of pink paint to the back of the board and then went to work on the clip part of the piece.

I added a girlie touch with some pretty sparkly, gossamer ribbons glued directly to the clip and a crown of fringed paper garland at the very top. A pretty dangling charm was added to one of the ribbons. I left the clip so that it can be opened to hold photos or anything else I would like to display on my clipboard.


This was a fun and relatively easy project that I recommend for anyone who would like to try their hand at altered art.....happy painting!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
I really enjoyed reading about your project. It looks beautiful, and I have a feeling it looks even more lovely in person. You are so creative.

Dawn-Hydrangea Home said...

That clipboard came out great Debbie! I love projects like those!

Anonymous said...

Oh, it turned out so nicely, Debbie! It looks extremely dimensional in the photos. Like the butterfly might flit away at any moment. :)

Hope you're doing well and recovering from your link loss. What a pain to reconstruct. -Jenn

Anonymous said...

Debbie

Your clipboard came out great. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Lisa
XOXO

Powered By Blogger

STATS