Sunday, March 30, 2008

Look what I did!



Roxie over at Jorabeel's Ink was talking one day about altering a clipboard and I just had to do one myself.....so here is what I came up with.....it's hanging in my newly "pinked" office at the college and I just love it!

HOW I DID IT:

First I found a couple of old clipboards at the thrift store....this one was brown fiberboard, but the other one is clear acrylic so I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet. Anyway, I painted the clipboard with a thick coat of shabby pink latex paint and let it dry really well.

Next, on the front side of the clipboard I painted on a thick coat of matte Modge-Podge and let it get almost dry. Then I painted on a coat of chocolate brown latex paint. This was an experiment because I didn't know how the Modge-Podge would work for crackling. The main thing to remember when "crackling" is to be sure to paint in one direction. After the brown paint dried there was a moderate crackling effect, mostly in a linear pattern.


I used a coarse grade sandpaper and sanded around the edges of the clipboard and then sanded the crackled area to get the effect I wanted. I wiped the board down with a damp cloth and then dried it with a cloth and I was ready to apply my artwork. I chose a floral and butterfly theme with a biblical garden verse for my clipboard. Once the artwork was affixed with more Modge-Podge, I then coated the entire front of the board with another coat of Modge-Podge to seal it. I applied another coat of pink paint to the back of the board and then went to work on the clip part of the piece.

I added a girlie touch with some pretty sparkly, gossamer ribbons glued directly to the clip and a crown of fringed paper garland at the very top. A pretty dangling charm was added to one of the ribbons. I left the clip so that it can be opened to hold photos or anything else I would like to display on my clipboard.


This was a fun and relatively easy project that I recommend for anyone who would like to try their hand at altered art.....happy painting!!!

4 comments:

Marie said...

Hi Debbie,
I really enjoyed reading about your project. It looks beautiful, and I have a feeling it looks even more lovely in person. You are so creative.

Dawn-Hydrangea Home said...

That clipboard came out great Debbie! I love projects like those!

Thrift Shop Romantic said...

Oh, it turned out so nicely, Debbie! It looks extremely dimensional in the photos. Like the butterfly might flit away at any moment. :)

Hope you're doing well and recovering from your link loss. What a pain to reconstruct. -Jenn

Lisa said...

Debbie

Your clipboard came out great. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Lisa
XOXO

STATS