Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Collections.........


When I'm not busy preparing for or teaching college courses, I spend alot of my free time redecorating our home in the country. This past Fall I focused on our living room which was badly in need of an update and more seating for our growing family. After purchasing a new sofa and loveseat, followed by a new window treatment, it was clear that a new furniture arrangement was the next order of business.
Rearranging furniture in our home is no small feat......we are collectors and packrats. In order to move any piece of furniture it must first be unloaded. By this I mean, all of the pottery either inside of it or on top of it must be removed. Of course, once removed there was no better time to wash all of the pottery, so I had a major task on my hands in no time!
As I washed piece after piece of pottery, I realized once again how lovely each one is! We collect early 20th century American pottery such as McCoy, Hull, Haeger, and Weller. We seem to collect certain colors......the cabinet in the photo here shows some of our teal green pottery sandwiched between shelves of creamy white vases and McCoy Blossomtime. The lower part of the cabinet houses soft green McCoy Floraline vases and planters that are my special collection.
Yes, caring for all of this pottery can be quite a job, but it's a job I enjoy because the pottery is so lovely!
Check back soon for Part 2 in this segment.......another pottery collection.

2 comments:

Retroboutiques said...

I love your pottery! Sold most of mine when I moved across the state, but slowly building it back up! :)

Deb said...

Thanks....I wish I had a place to display all of it! Maybe a museum??? :)

Powered By Blogger

STATS